The two deserted medieval villages of North and South Ingleby now form the present settlement. The many earthworks which can be seen from the Sturton Road are the remains of the roads, fields and lakes which formed the villages.
In the centre of North Ingleby is a large manorial complex, which was bounded on three sides by a chain of fishponds forming a moat. Ingleby Hall, built in 1879, now stands to one corner of this site. To the immediate south of the current Hall is the site of the manorial chapel, first mentioned in 1232. This may have been the original site of both the font and Daubney tomb, which were moved to St. Botolph’s Church when the chapel was abandoned. This site is a scheduled ancient monument.
An embankment surrounds a large field to the north of the Hall, described in 1569 as ‘the deer parke’ and 1650 as ‘The Park or the Deer Park’.
A further manor house at South Ingleby is recorded in 1304, with a dovecote and windmill. A mound, levelled in 1950, stood at the roadside between South Ingleby and Saxilby ; this may have been the site of the mill. A prominent bank, lying between the two villages, was possibly a rabbit warren.
The two villages were both held by the Daubney family during the 14th century. The lands passed first to Sir Thomas Burgh, and by 1539 to the Monsons of South Carlton. The cultivated fields were enclosed, and farming converted to sheep, which led to the decline in population.
In the extreme north-west corner of Ingleby is the site of a medieval monastic grange. The farm, known as Aldhagh, was owned and worked by the Augustinian Priory at Nocton. At the dissolution on the monasteries in 1534, ownership passed to Charles Brandon, Duke of Suffolk. In 1977, a possible boundary wall and spreads of limestone building debris over the lines of building foundations were discovered. Access from North Ingleby was presumably along a disused field way known as Old Wife Lane. Aldhow Grange now stands near the site.
Broadholme Manor Farm stands on the site of the medieval nunnery of St. Mary, a priory of Premonstratensian canonesses founded before 1154 and dissolved in 1536. It was the first of only two nunneries of the order to be established in England in the Middle Ages. The Priory Seal is pictured left.
Closely associated with St. Botolph’s Church and Saxilby, the Priory was sponsored by the local Lords of the Manor and Royalty. A Charter signed by King Edward III, dated 27 February 1327 reads, ‘on account of the special affection which Queen Isabella, his most dear mother has towards them, grants to the Prioress and Nuns of Brodholme a yearly rent of 8 marks’. Lady Alicia Daubney was buried at the Priory in 1342.
Whilst vandalism and petty theft are often thought to be a current day problem, an incident recorded in 1383 proves otherwise. A complaint was made to the King that ‘William Wauterson, John in the Croft and John Henryson of Saxilby had broken into the Priory Close, felled trees and underwood, depastured the corn and grass, assaulted the servants, besieged the Prioress and her nuns, and threatened them with death’.
A valuation of all Church property was made in 1535, following the end of the jurisdiction of the Catholic Church. The valuation of Brodeholme Nunnery included rental income for Ingleby (10shillings) and Saxilby (£3/15s/6d), and out-goings for rent of 13s/4d paid to Lord Daubeney.
Now a scheduled monument, little evidence remains of the Priory. Some architectural fragments have been built into the existing farmhouse, and there are earthworks indicating fishponds to the rear of the property.
At the time of the map made in 1648, the priory had passed into private hands. The now renamed Brodeholme Hall and Church can be seen in the centre of the map, with the fishponds to the rear of the property. A post mill can be seen to the left.
Broxholme is situated between the villages of Saxilby and South Carlton, and there was a church here at the time of the Doomsday Survey in 1086. This hamlet formed part of the Manor of Ingleby until it was sold by Lord Monson in 1838.
Before chapels were built during the early 19th century, Methodists were allowed to use other buildings for the practice of religious worship. A certificate dated 25 October 1807 reads that ‘Thomas Chalnor, John Gray and George Boole certify that a certain dwelling house in the occupation of John Gray situate in the parish of Broxholm is intended to be used as a place of religious worship, for those . . . dissenting from the Church of England, commonly called Methodists’. The grandson of George Boole, also George, taught Latin and mathematics at a school in Doncaster from the age of 16, before returning to Lincoln where he opened an academy in Pottergate. It was here that he published a mathematical analysis of logic, to become known as ‘Booleian’ algebra, which forms the basis of modern computer logic. He was appointed Professor of Mathematics at Queen’s College, Dublin in 1849.
This quiet, secluded village boasts no fewer than five listed buildings, including the now closed All Saints Church, which was rebuilt in 1855, and the 17th century, mud and stud ‘Boontown Cottage’. This old cottage stands so far from the road, that the postman would raise a flag on a pole by the side of the gate to let the residents know that a delivery had been made! Between the cottage and the road are the remaining earthworks and pond of a deserted medieval village, a scheduled ancient monument.
The Village Hall stood opposite the end of the track leading to Boontown Cottage. The First World I building hosted whist drives, dances and wedding receptions until the roof blew off during the 1980’s.
The population in 1991 was 56.