Saxilby and District History Group

Early 20th Century Motor Transport Services

John R Richardson formed a company in 1903 to manufacture motor cars in Saxilby. A plot of land was purchased on Sykes Lane and whilst building work was in progress, plans to make and sell motor cars went ahead in a workshop at Gowt’s Bridge, with prototypes produced in market gardeners Pennell’s packing shed in Lincoln.

The operation soon moved on to the new Saxilby works, and production started on three models.

Some five years later, the company went into liquidation, and the Sykes lane works were taken over by H.J. West - Refrigerator Manufacturers.

You can read more about Richardson Cars in our book, 'Step Back in Time', available direct from ourselves or Saxilby Post Office and the Anglers.

The previous article featured a photograph of a blacksmith and saddlers premises on the site of what is now Bridge Place.

By 1926, these buildings were used by Edward Parman to sell and service motor vehicles.

Following the opening of the new by-pass in 1937, he opened a new garage on the A57 at the junction of Mill Lane.

Born in 1893 in Rutland, John Henry Beal, a craftsman joiner and wheelwright moved to the village in the early 1920's. He opened premises at the rear of his home, now Bedlam Hall on the High Street. He married Anna Valley, daughter of Saxilby market gardener John, in 1927.

The premises grew when John expanded the business into a coach builder and motor dealer.

The row of cottages to the side of his home were called 'Beal's Row' at this time. We think that with all the engineering activity going on, this may be the reason that the house and cottages were renamed 'Bedlam'!

We were recently donated a group of  photographs taken on the premises during the 1930's.

The photograph below shows the works, with Bedlam Cottages and the rear of the Anglers in the background.

John later built new premises at Odder, on the site of the former gravel works, where he and Anna also lived.

John Beal died in 1971. The premises are now occupied by Keith Arnold Cars.