Saxilby's Post Offices
The recent move of the Post Office to the Co-op store in 2017 isn't the first time the office
The 1849 Post Office Directory lists Mrs Ann Pilley as 'a teacher of two young ladies' at a
boarding school and post office.
Ann was born c.1775 and died in Saxilby on 29 March 1864, aged 89.
Her husband, who was employed as the Foss bridge keeper, had died in 1829; Ann carried on the job after her husband's death.
The Post Office moved to 39 High Street (its location until last month) in 1861.
William Rook, a grocer, had built the property in 1835. On his death in 1859, he left the
property to his son, Robert.
The 1861 Post Office Directory lists Robert as Grocer and Postmaster.
He was joined in the business in 1881 by Henry Read, who was employed as his assistant. Robert Rook died in 1881, and Henry Read bought the property and business for £1,000.
In 1905, Henry bought a paddock opposite and built Walnut House, which incorporated the Post Office and telephone exchange (in 1919, only 6 numbers are listed, with the post office number 1!).
39 High Street was sold to grocer and baker William Miller.
Following Henry Read's retirement, the business was taken over by his son-in-law and daughter, Harry and Edith Annie Ford. Harry was the son of Thomas Ford, the former landlord of the Sun Inn.
The Office relocated in 1959 for a few months to 94 High Street, the home of Mrs Caewood. She found the scope of the business more than she thought and almost immediately decided to resign. It was found that the position well up the High Street was not popular.
After running the grocer and baker at the old post office, John and Connie Rawson took over the post office business, and it returned to it's former home. An extension was built on the side of the shop as a sorting office. For several years all mail was delivered by cycle, and mopeds and vans were added later.
John and Connie were followed in the business in 1975 by their son-in-law and daughter, Ray and Jenny Scott. Jenny returned to the home where she had been born!
The layout of the shop was changed, with the bay windows and central door removed.
By 1991, eleven rounds were operated from the sorting office, with five village rounds by bicycle, three vans to Newton and Laughterton, Fenton and Torksey, and Sturton and Stow, and three mopeds to Broadholme, Broxholme and Sturton village.
The most recent postmistress, Kate Elkington, joined Ray and Jenny in 2002, and took over the business on their retirement in 2008.